Friday, November 25, 2011

First Opinions

I started reading a book called  Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden, and it looks like a very promising read so far. According to the blurb, it is a book about a group of kids who happen to be away from their town when it is invaded by another nation. They are probably going to try to fight the invaders and rescue their family and friends. The blurb also gives a hint of teenager emotions like crushes.

The actual book starts with a group of teenagers going on a camping trip. With the way everybody's moods are, it is hard to think of this book as a disaster book. Everyone is cheerful, and living a pretty ideal high school life, making you think that this book is going to be a nice realistic fiction of some teenagers and their lives. If I hadn't seen the cover or read the blurb, I would have totally gotten tricked into misreading the genre. I like how the author does that. It makes me realize that things can happen, to anyone. These are just some average normal people. They aren't special, but this is still happening to them. Our normal lives can have spectacular events in them too, even if it seems impossible. I think the author purposefully chose such normal people to star in an invasion to show us stuff like that can happen to real people.

I haven't gotten to the point where the group of kids realize that their town has been invaded but nevertheless I can tell that it will be an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment